Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Have a Good One

When did every young person between the ages of say 18 and 30 become programmed to say the same thing over and over again?  And no, I'm not talking about the incessant use of the word LIKE; that battle was lost a generation ago.

I go to the grocery store and the kid bagging invariably says, "have a good one" on my way out.  Same thing at Dunkin' Donuts, and the movie theater.  Apparently, any other form of goodbye is punishable by fine.  Call me cranky, but I would rather they say nothing than spit out the same tired phrase.

Today, I went to Cumberland Farms.  They have a new thing where you can bring your shrink wrapped sub or sandwich up to the counter and they will heat it up for you.  The kid took the sub out of my hand to put in the oven, and said "have a good one."  Even though he was going to have to hand it back to me in three minutes after it was heated.

I'm not looking for five star customer service at a convenience store or coffee shop, but the "yoots" of America have to start mixing up their banal pleasantries.

2 comments:

  1. I like the direction you're going in Lino.

    Have a good one.

    I mean..

    Have a wonderful evening Mr M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you were having a Good One Day...I do understand what your getting at ... My pet peeve where I live.. English is a dying language... I can barley understand the person at CVS, and the local Stop & Shop... I never have that problem at Starbucks though... One of the cons of living in the big city... I guess in the sticks having a good one a normal occurrence..

    Have a Good One Ray....

    ReplyDelete